- Beautiful views of the small town of Prineville, as well as the Ochoco Mountains and Forest, and the Crooked River. \
- Explore the historic A.R. Bowman Museum located in Prineville.
- Miles of trails for hikers to explore the surrounding area.
- Located just 35 miles east of Bend off Hwy 126.
Located about a half mile west of Prineville on Highway 126 is the Ochoco Viewpoint. Aptly named, this scenic viewpoint boasts views of the Ochoco Mountains and Ochoco National Forest, located just a few miles away. The Wild and Scenic Crooked River is also visible from this viewpoint. Visitors have a sweeping vista of the small Central Oregon town of Prineville.
Location and Information
The Ochoco Viewpoint is located just off Hwy 126, about 35 miles east of Bend. It is about a mile west of Prineville, and is accessible year round.
- Contact Information: Ochoco National Forest 3160 N.E. 3rd Street Prineville, OR 97754. Phone: 541-416-6500.
- Hiking – There are several miles of trails to explore in the area, with 21 miles in the Mill Creek Wilderness, and many more in the Ochoco Mountains and Forest.
- A.R. Bowman Memorial Museum – Located in a historic building built in 1910, visitors can view a wide array of interesting exhibits including forestry displays, Indian artifacts including arrowheads, artifacts from the early homesteaders, and many more.
- Photography – Be sure to bring your camera to capture the Prineville Valley and Central Oregon landscape that is visible from the viewpoint.
- The viewpoint covers 251 acres.
- The Ochoco State Scenic Viewpoint is registered as a National Heritage site. A variety of endangered plants grow on the wayside.
- The stone from which Prineville’s A.R. Bowman Museum was built is from a rock quarry near the viewpoint.