- Climbers that summit the mountain have spectacular views of nearby peaks including the Three Sisters and Mt. Jefferson.
- Located in the Mt. Washington Wilderness, 40 miles northwest of Bend.
- The last eruption on the mountain occurred 1,330 years ago.
- 16 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail pass near the mountain.
With a striking, sharply pointed peak reaching 7,794 feet, Mount Washington, Oregon is truly one of the most distinctive mountains in the Cascade Range. Classified as a shield volcano, the rugged slopes of Mount Washington have been deeply eroded by glaciers over time. It is located in the scenic Mt. Washington Wilderness area which covers over 52,000 acres of Central Oregon. Despite significant amounts of loose, crumbling rock on the mountain, many climbers summit it each year to experience the breathtaking views of nearby peaks.
Location and Information
Mt. Washington, Oregon, is located about midway between Hwy 20 and Hwy 242. It is 40 miles northwest of Bend.
- Contact Information: McKenzie Ranger District, 57600 McKenzie Hwy, McKenzie Bridge, OR 97413. Phone: 541- 822-3381. View the USGS website here.
- Mountain Climbing – Although its slopes are heavily eroded and have a lot of loose rock, it is a farily popular climbing destination. The summit boasts spectacular views of Three Sisters, Three Fingered Jack, and Mt. Jefferson. The North Ridge is considered the easiest to climb, with various routes between Class 5.0 and 5.3. Summer weekends on the mountain can be a bit crowded.
- Camping – There are several campgrounds near Mt. Washington, surrounded by towering lodgepole pines, mountain hemlock, and numerous sparkling lakes.
- Hiking – Over 16 miles of the famous Pacific Crest Trail pass through the Mt. Washington Wilderness.
- Mt. Jefferson has a diameter of approximately 3 miles and was formed during the Pleistocene Epoch.
- The peak of the mountain is a volcanic plug.
- The most recent volcanic on Mt. Jefferson occurred about 1,330 years ago when a series of small spatter cones erupted on the northeast side.