Just 35 miles northwest of Bend, beautiful Camp Sherman is a naturally pristine community nestled alongside the sparkling waters of the Metolius River, deep in the Deschutes National Forest.
- Situated deep in the Deschutes National Forest near the scenic Metolius River.
- Enjoy excellent fly fishing and beautiful hiking and biking trails.
- Founded by Sherman County Wheat farmers as a summer retreat.
- Just 35 miles northwest of Bend.
The tiny community of Camp Sherman, Oregon, spreads across a mere 80 acres of some of Central Oregon’s most spectacular forest and mountain scenery. With its natural beauty, numerous vacation cabins, camp sites, quaint general store, and the Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery, it’s the perfect place to get away from it all. Visitors from all over are drawn to Camp Sherman for a variety of recreational activities including biking, hiking, camping, and fly fishing
Location and Information
Camp Sherman, OR is located about 35 miles northwest of Bend, via Hwy 20 and SW Camp Sherman Road.
Deschutes National Forest, 1001 SW Emkay Drive, Bend, OR 97702. Phone: 541-383-5300. For more information, visit the website here.
- Fishing - Camp Sherman is a favorite fishing location for avid anglers. The Metolius River is one of Central Oregon’s best fly fishing destinations.
- Mountain biking and hiking – There are several miles of scenic trails in the area. Nature loving bikers and hikers will enjoy the 3-mile loop that follows the Metolius river and ends at the Camp Sherman Store.
- Birdwatching – An abundance of bird species make the Metolius Basin their summer home. Bring your binoculars for a close-up glimpse of a variety of birds including Rufous hummingbirds, Calliope hummingbirds, and white-headed woodpeckers. The annual Woodpecker Wonderland Festival has taken place at Camp Sherman for the past three years.
The community came about in the early 1900’s, when wheat farmers from Sherman County sought out the land as a refuge from the intense summers. They found the river refreshing and relaxing. They nailed up a sign - made from a shoe box top - designating the area as Camp Sherman.
The Camp Sherman Store has been in business since 1915.