Fun For Kids
If you have kids, Bend, Oregon is a great summer destination, with its huge variety of outdoor activities for kids and an abundance of attractions that the whole family will enjoy.
Summer Kid Friendly Activities
- Biking – There are endless of miles of biking trails in the area surrounding Bend, including numerous mountain biking trails at Smith Rock State Park and 35 miles of paved road biking trails just south of Bend in Sunriver.
- Horseback Riding – Several summer horse camps in and near Bend teach kids riding skills while providing a fun experience.
- Hiking – There are plenty of great places to hike near Bend including the Deschutes River trail and miles of trails at nearby Smith Rock State Park.
- Swimming – Hot summer days in Bend are perfect for swimming in one of the local pools or nearby lakes, rivers, and reservoirs.
- Tennis – Several tennis camps, clinics, and lessons for kids are available in and near Bend.
- Golf – Golf is a great sport for the whole family. Several golf camps and private lessons are available for kids to improve their game.
Rock Climbing – Climbing is a very popular activity in Central Oregon. Summer climbing camps are available in the area and are great fun for kids and teens who love to climb.
Summer Fun Attractions for the Family
- Newberry National Volcanic Monument – Just south of Bend, this is a great place for the whole family with lakes, lava flows, and lava tubes to explore. Camping, hiking, fishing, and horseback riding are popular summer activities here.
- Crater Lake National Park – This popular Central Oregon attraction is a popular destination for families. Activities for the family include boat tours of the lake, hiking and biking, and camping.
- Bend Heritage Walk – This walk through Bend’s historical district is a great way for kids to learn about Bend’s history while seeing some cool old buildings.
- John Day Fossil Beds National Monument – The whole family will enjoy visiting this fascinating part of Oregon. Hike through the Painted Hills, view fossils dating back millions of years, and view fascinating rock formations.
- High Desert Museum – This fun and educational museum has a great collection of live exhibits of native wildlife, as well as re-enactments and interpretive displays of Oregon life in the late 1800s.
- Sisters Rodeo – One of the most popular rodeos in the Western U.S. is held every June in nearby Sisters, Oregon.
Bend Summer Festival – This annual festival offers a great combination of live music, delicious food, and a block party for kids and families.
Winter Kid Friendly Activities
- Downhill Skiing & Snowboarding – Kids of all ages enjoy downhill skiing and snowboarding. Nearby Mt. Bachelor Ski Resort offers a variety of runs suitable for kids of all skill levels, as well as private and group lessons, and a kids program. Hoodoo and Willamette Pass Ski Areas are also very kid friendly.
- Nordic skiing – There is no shortage of both groomed and ungroomed Nordic trails in Central Oregon perfect for kids of all ages.
- Tubing and Sledding – Kids love the thrill of careening down a snowy slope on a big inner tube. There are several tube parks near Bend, including the Snowblast Tubing Park at Mt. Bachelor and Wanoga Sno-park located just off Century Drive. A little further south, in Sunriver, you’ll find several established sledding areas.
- Dog Sledding – There are several places near Bend that offer dog sledding tours and rides for the whole family.
Snowmobiling – Central Oregon offers a vast winter wonderland that’s perfect for snowmobiling. The Dutchman Flat area near Mt. Bachelor provides access to over 150 miles of snowmobile trails.
- Ice Skating – There are two ice skating rinks just minutes from Bend that offer hours of fun for kids of all ages, as well as the entire family.
Winter Fun Attractions for the Family
- Reindeer Ranch – The entire family will enjoy seeing live reindeer at a working reindeer ranch – the largest in the country - outside of Redmond, just a few miles north of Bend.
- Bend Winterfest - Every February the Bend Winterfest is held in the Old Mill District. There are plenty of things for the entire family to enjoy, including snow sculpting and ice carving, Nordic sprint races, a kids area, and a European-style marketplace.
- Sisters Holiday Tree Lighting - The small western community of Sisters kicks off the Christmas season the last weekend in November with its holiday tree lighting and parade.
- Hoodoo Winter Carnival - Hoodoo Ski Area, northwest of Bend, hosts a Winter Carnival every February that includes fireworks, a barbecue dinner, games for kids, a snow sculpture contest, and a torchlight parade.
Share Your Thoughts
- Coupon Book
- Newsletter Sign Up
- Theatre & Music
- Local Events
- Day Spas & Massage
- Deschutes County Fairgrounds
- Downtown Bend
- Old Mill District
- Juniper Park Swim & Fitness
- Art In Public Places
- Les Schwab Amphitheater
- Tower Theatre
- Guides & Tours
- Outdoor Rentals
- Fun For Kids